Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 6 - Check up

Day 6 check up involved a pap smear, a sonohystogram, and a breast exam. All with A, because that's just how it is. She did really well, and they were able to get us in and out pretty quickly. I had just changed into the paper gown and was getting A set up with her movie when she pooped. And then the PA and nurse walked back in. Oh well. So I got up on the table and the PA started the exam. A was fine standing by her DVD player, until they turned off the lights for the sono part. Then the nurse brought her over to me and I held one of her hands. The other hand, though... Where she was standing was at the back of the sono machine, so there were all these wires. I'd ask for her other hand (thinking I could hold both) and she'd put her other hand in my hand and take the one I was just holding out of my hand. There was also a drawer that she had opened and was going through at the bottom of the bed. Oh well. Not much damage caused for an almost 2 year old.

I was talking to the PA about feeling bad about having to bring A along. And she said that people understand that you don't always have a place to leave her, and that it isn't ever your first choice to bring a young child with you to your doctor's appt. But I said, "Here especially at this waiting room, it is harder to bring a child to." She said that it was very "conscientious of me" but that it probably wasn't that big of deal. I just remembered back to when I was sitting in the waiting room and someone brought in their young children. I would think, "But they already have a child. Where is mine. Focus on me, because you already have a child, and I have nothing." Very raw emotions at that time, and I don't want to make anyone else have to feel that way in that waiting room.

Anyway, she said that everything that she could see (non-emptying bladder gets in the way sometimes) looked fine and we could proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment